Monday, July 12, 2004

Movies and Knitting

That pretty much describes my whole weekend. Oh, but first, I want to congratulate my husband, who has lost 14 pounds since we started our getting fit program, and is on his 5th day without coffee. Yay, John! I’m progressing more slowly, but am feeling very motivated by the fact that he has lost so much more weight than me.

Now, on to the movies. We watched three very different movies, all of which I liked. Friday night we watch School of Rock, which I really liked. I don’t always think Jack Black is funny, but I thought School of Rock was sweet. John and I were joking about “raising the goblet of Rock” all weekend. The only drawback is that I’ve had the song Bonzo Goes to Bitburg stuck in my head since, and that’s not the movie’s fault.

Saturday was Kill Bill day – Volumes 1 and 2. No one would ever describe Kill Bill as sweet, but I liked it as well. It was violent, but the fight scenes were so improbable that they didn’t really bother me. I also love the way Quentin Tarantino uses music in his movies. I’m sure there’s some technical term for it, but I am always impressed by the way he finds the perfect songs to match what’s happening visually and in the plot.

And then Sunday we watched Lost In Translation. A couple of people had told me they thought this movie was slow and boring, but I disagree. I liked the pacing of the movie. And, actually, Sofia Coppola picked interesting music to set the mood of her movie too. And I loved the ending. Not too happy, not too sad, just right.

In between all of these movies, I managed to fit in some knitting. I’m making a baby blanket for my friend Christine, and I really need to get moving, since she’s due at the end of August. I’m nearing the end of one of the balls of yarn, and somehow it got all snarled up. I literally spent hours undoing all the knots on Saturday. Just went I was about to go lose it, John started playing a CD by this comedian, Mitch Hedberg. God, that guy is funny. It’s impossible to go insane from frustration when you’re laughing so hard you are crying.

All in all, a very satisfying weekend.

         |
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com