Wednesday, June 23, 2004

I feel I should mention

After that last post, I feel I should say that I have a much better relationship with my parents now. Sort of. They had an extremely unhappy marriage, which then made them unhappy, and it trickled down to make me and my brother unhappy.

They finally got divorced last year. My mom is so much happier since she left my dad. And it only took me something like 15 years to convince her to do it. Seriously. I knew she should leave when I was still in high school. But her being happier in general has led to us getting along much better. I think she still thinks I'm kind of a loser because I don't have a big house or a fancy car, but that's ok. I've made my peace with the fact that she and I have different opinions about how I should live my life. As long as I'm happy with what I'm doing, I'm cool.

My dad? Well, he's nuts. I resent the way he treated my mom, my brother and me, so that gets in the way sometimes. When he's not acting crazy, he's ok. We went to the ballet a few times this year and had fun. And he can be very sweet, like when he gave John and me a bouquet of roses with the thorns removed as a wedding gift. But sooner or later, the craziness comes out, and I think to myself, "Oh, right. Now I remember. This is why I don't like you."

I love them both, of course. They are my parents. And I love my brother. I miss him. He's off in North Carolina, probably for many of the same reasons that I stayed in Boston after school. But he's smart enough to get a job at school where they let him live in the dorm, so he doesn't have to worry about furniture. Hi Tim!

         |
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com